We are definitely in an interesting time and place right now. It seems that no matter where you turn, there is an abundance of negativity. Everyone seems to be mad at each other. Whether it be politics, the media, or even things going on in our personal lives, it can be really hard to stay positive.
We could all hang our heads and complain about how much the world sucks right now. That’s easy to do and it’s OK to get mad when you hear something outrageous on the news or hear someone say something that is completely ignorant or hateful. But what are you going to DO about it? We need to learn how to redirect negative energy into positive action.
I have taken many trips on the negativity train and know how draining it can be. But when I started to realize that I had a choice and could choose happiness, my view on the world started to change. Is it easy to stay positive? Hellllll no. It’s something that I have to work at everyday. I have to remind myself that negative thoughts are going to hurt more than help.
So what do we do? Below are just a few of my ideas on using our energy for good and staying positive. I’d love to hear some of your thoughts in the comments.
- Get involved with causes that you care about. Work to understand everything about these causes and find organizations that you can rally behind. Educate yourself and then advocate. Volunteer and/or donate. Do whatever you can to help out. This is a critical time that charities and organizations need our help.
- Stay positive on Social Media. Follow positive pages. Post positive, happy stories. Unfollow people that are constantly posting angry or hateful comments. You have to be protective of the information that you are letting in and putting out.
- Seek to understand people’s opinions. If you ask someone why they think the way they do as opposed to calling them an idiot because they think the way they do, you will have a much more constructive conversation. With that being said, some people are always going to a-holes and full of hate. But we can accept that we can’t change everyone and just move on.
- Don’t underestimate your power. Movements start because one person decided to stand up for their beliefs. You don’t have to change the world over night, but if you help to change one person, you have made a difference.
- Keep working towards your dreams. We all have something to offer the world. Don’t give up. It is up to us to share our unique skills and talents with the world. Other people will be influenced by your courage and ambition to push forward.